Thursday, March 14, 2013

Final Project: My Argument and Opinion

 Most of my questions dealt with copyrights which "give the ownder of a creative work the right ot keep others from unauthorized use of the work" (Patent, Copyright, and Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 197) and trademarks which is "a distinctive word, phrase, logo, graphic symbol or other device that is used to identify the sourceof a product or service and to distinguish it from comeptitors." (Patent, Copyright and Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 380) After talking with Todd, I gained a little better knowledge of intellectual property law.  I agree with most of his rulings, since they make logical sense, but I don't completely agree with him on a certain ruling, and that pertains to the question I asked him about an internet radio site streaming one of my bands songs without permission and being able to collect royalties. In part of his answer, he stated that if my band is aware that this is happening we only have a certain amount of time to bring the site to action. I think we should be able to collect royalties still especially on the sites that are subscription sites where "listeners pay a fee to listen to music." (Patent, Copyright, and Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 339) I enjoyed learning more about the intellectual Property, "These laws don't prevent someone from stepping on my rights, but they do give me ammunition to take the trespasser to court" (Patent, Copyright, and Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 5)  After talking to Todd, I feel like I can better protect myself and my work in the world of intellectual property law. He was very friendly and open during the interview and was happy to answer any questions I had to ask. Todd was a very good choice as a lawyer to interview. 




No comments:

Post a Comment